This article was originally published on Foodbeast.com on 5/22/2019.
Cannabis edibles have been around for ages, but their purpose and design have shifted greatly since they were first adopted by the greenery-loving generation that came before us. Plus, the legalization of cannabis in California – and other states – paved the way for a massive influx of new products on the market, edibles being one of the categories that expanded the most.
While anyone can argue both the pros and cons of legalization, this product development in the realm of edibles has done a great job at conquering one of the biggest fears behind the treats: overdosing. Current recreational laws in California require edibles to not exceed 10mg per serving or 100mg per package, in addition to mandating regular potency testing, taking much of the guesswork out of consuming.
Since consumers now have a better understanding of the amount of cannabis they should be consuming per edible product/package, we can take it even further and treat edibles more like an ingredient. That’s right, it’s time to hop in the kitchen and let your imagination run wild, like a true FOODBEAST!
Here are five no-bake desserts we made using cannabis products from our go-to spot, Blüm dispensary.
1. Peppermint Almond Joy
½ cup coconut butter, melted
½ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
Serving size: 1 bar
THC per serving: 10mg
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes
1. Place Kiva Bites in one bowl, and chocolate chips in another. Melt both in the microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted, stirring in between. Mix both chocolates together. The Kiva Bites become more like a paste when melted because of the filling, so use a small whisk to incorporate the two. If you want more of a minty taste, whisk in the peppermint extract.
2. Using a spoon or pastry brush, spread chocolate on bottom and sides of candy mold. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, or until chocolate is set.
3. Fill candy molds with melted coconut butter. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes, or until coconut butter is somewhat hardened but still soft. Place two almonds in the coconut butter, just like an Almond Joy. Put back in the freezer for 15-20 more minutes, or until coconut butter is set and almonds are secure.
4. Cover frozen coconut butter and almonds with the remaining melted chocolate. Place back in the freezer to set. Store in the fridge or freezer and let thaw for 5-10 minutes before eating.
2. Edible Cookie Dough
⅓ cup sugar
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
½ cup almond butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
Serving size: 1 scoop
THC per serving: 10mg
Total Time: 10 minutes
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and coconut oil. Add almond butter and mix again. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk again until fully incorporated.
2. Mix in almond flour and coconut flour. Add in chopped chocolate. If you want more chocolate without the added THC, chop up some of your favorite bar and add it to the mix!
3. Enjoy alone or with your favorite toppings! Suggestions include chocolate granola butter, almond butter, chocolate sauce. Store in the fridge!
3. Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
Your favorite decorations
Dark chocolate and/or white chocolate
Servings: as many as you want!
THC per serving: 20 mg (10mg per cookie)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 20-30 minutes
Total Time: 30-40 minutes
1. Grab two Big Pete’s cookies and your favorite ice cream. Scoop one mini scoop of ice cream onto a cookie. Take the other cookie and place it on top. Roll the ice cream sandwich in
2. your favorite mix in. We used sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.
3. Place mini ice cream sandwiches in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to set. While they are chilling, melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted, stirring in between. Drizzle chocolate over frozen mini ice cream sandwiches. Let chill in the freezer until ready to eat.
4. Gummy Fruit Pops
Fruit of choice – we used kiwi and strawberry
Liquid of choice – we used aloe juice and coconut water, but you can use soda or any juice
Serving size: 1 popsicle
THC per serving: ~ 20mg
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 5-6 ½ hours
Total Time: 5 hours 20 minutes to 6 hours 5 minutes
1. Place fresh fruit in a blender and mix until there are no chunks. Pour a 1-2 inch layer of the fruit puree into the popsicle molds. Freeze for 2-3 hours, or until solid.
2. Once the fruit is solid, add your liquid into the popsicle molds and place back into the freezer for around 1-1 ½ hours. The goal is for the liquid to be mostly frozen, but not fully solid so you can insert your gummies.
3. While your popsicles are freezing, take fun cookie cutters and cut designs out of your Smokiez Gummiez. This is totally optional, but very fun! Please note, if you DON’T cut the shapes out of the gummies, the total THC per serving will increase.
4. Once gummies are cut into shapes, use a toothpick to gently insert the gummies into your semi-frozen popsicles. I added a bit of chopped fresh fruit here, too.
5. Freeze popsicles for another 2-3 hours until frozen solid. Serve!
5. Mocha Chia Pudding
Just under 1 cup milk of choice (can also do more milk and omit coconut cream)
Maple syrup, to taste
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ cup chia seeds
THC per serving: 11mg
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 3-4 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes to 4 hours 10 minutes
1. In a quart-sized jar, combine Therapy Tonics Cannabis Espresso, coconut cream, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt. Apply the lid and shake until the mixture is smooth and fully incorporated.
2. Gently stir cocoa powder into liquid mixture and shake again. Add your chia seeds and stir one last time. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, until the chia seeds have absorbed the pudding mixture.
3. Serve in a glass layered with fresh whipped cream and topped with your favorite garnishes! We did chocolate curls and chocolate covered strawberries.